Monday, September 17, 2012

This summer we moved away from South Korea, our year-long home.
Here is a quick overview of some of the things we did our final days in the Land of the Morning Calm:



Katelyn and Andrew had one last Tae Kwon Do demonstration.
Here's Andrew doing a hammer kick:

Katelyn showing that she can meditate.

Having the kids in Tae Kwon Do is one of the things I really miss about Korea.



Here are some photos of Dave's last trip to the DMZ
(I went too, just not this time).
With some of our friendly South Korean soldiers.

Pointing the way to Pyeongyang at the train station that should (someday) link the two nations.

At the JSA (Joint Security Area), Panmunjom. This is where you can technically step into North Korea by entering the blue building where negotiations have taken place.

A North Korean soldier over on their side. Going there is a real experience. You are cautioned not to wear anything that would make you look "American." 



In April, I had a show of my artwork at a brand new community center near where we lived. Here it is set up before the opening reception: 



An article in Korean about it:


At the opening reception (which turned out to be a really wet, rainy day):
The woman I'm talking to owns a gallery that I had another show at right after this one ended. 
I'm not sure where photos of that one ended up, though.




 And a few photos of the kids outside the community center on a day we were there so I could do a demonstration. 




 In May, Dave's parents came to visit, and we toured around Seoul a bit with them. They both served a mission here when Andrew was born. So, they had some people and things they wanted to see.
Not the least of which was the Seoul temple.


Here are Dave's parents with Brother Kanjanga and his wife. While on their mission, they met Brother K. on the subway in Seoul. They started talking with him and offered him a Book of Mormon. After lots of long conversations, Brother K. was baptized, as was his wife.


This is a Buddhist temple close to our apartment:


The special lanterns were there for the observation of Buddha's birthday. 


I'm glad we got a couple of pictures of the azaleas--they are everywhere in Korea in the Spring, and they are beautiful!

Inside the temple.


Here are a few photos from our last trip to Lotte World, a fun amusement park in Seoul:


Notice Andrew is wearing glasses indoors? 
He had a really bad seasonal allergy reaction this year, and that day was especially bad (photos to follow so you'll believe me).


...Aaaand, our last trip to Hwaseong Fortress in Suwon.
A beautiful place.

Looking out the the hole in the old fortress wall at the new Korea!

I just realized Allison is wearing a shirt with a map of Japan on it. 









Last but not least, a few photos of Andrew's seasonal allergies in Korea. We're hoping that the pollen (or whatever) in Germany is much kinder to him... 
The kid's such a trooper, trying to smile in the picture.







Next up: Our trip with Dave's parents to China (sans children). 
Then we'll show you the last little bit of our time in Korea.


At which point I'll get going on our new adventures in Europe!
Can't wait, can you?!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.