Wednesday, May 20, 2009

March, Part II

March 2009
Part II





Giant pile of snow


snow up to the rooftops of this building

Taking the ferry at Lake Towada with the Missionaries




a photo Katelyn took of the Missionaries

Katelyn had recently fallen down our slippery, hard, wooden stairs. You can still see the bruise across her face.










The missionaries told us what this sticker means on a person's car--it is supposed to be a 'green leaf' for a new driver. There is another sticker that looks like a tear-drop and is yellow and orange, and it is supposed to be a 'fallen leaf' for old drivers.
We are a tiny bit surprised that people voluntarily put these on their cars--we're not sure Americans would do it.

Filling a bottle with natural spring water at the place that makes tofu and tofu doughnuts.


See the sign with black lettering? It reads "onigiri," which I believe is hand-rolled sushi. I can read just one of the systems of Japanese writing, called Hiragana, and I'm always excited to read something that I understand.

This is Konyaku. It is considered a traditional health food, and you see it for sale at a lot of little stands and at festivals. It is made from a type of big potato root, which has been dried, reconstituted, and had calcium carbonate added to it. Then they form it into blocks and cook it. It tastes similar to what you might imagine that tasting like.









I think I saved this picture because I was excited that I could read part of the package. On the front it reads, "Enoki" (the type of mushroom), and under the seagull it reads, "Hachinohe kinoko" which means Hachinohe (larger city near to us) mushrooms.



Katelyn in her little Chinese dress that unraveled the second I put it in the washing machine (should have known better!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.